Who we are
The Rochester People’s Climate Coalition (RPCC) is an inclusive, non-partisan network of organizations unified by our determination to identify and implement effective climate solutions. Our diverse membership includes business, faith, civic, labor, and environmental groups.
RPCC formed in 2014 during the weeks leading up to the People’s Climate March, when 30+ organizations in the Greater Rochester Area joined together to voice support for the march and demand action on climate change. During the months following the march, representatives from member organizations collaborated to define the coalition’s mission, goals, and structure. Now including almost 100 member organizations, RPCC continues to expand, evolve, and galvanize our local climate movement.
For a full list of member organizations and information on how to join our coalition, see here.
The Rochester People’s Climate Coalition unites local organizations to address the urgent need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, transition to a clean energy economy, and prepare for the impacts of global warming. Through our coordinated, collaborative efforts, we will create a more environmentally just and sustainable community.
Our Action Pathways
As of Fall 2016, RPCC’s initiatives focus on reducing emissions through Four Action Pathways, which represent the most significant local contributors of greenhouse gas emissions:
- Building Efficiency
- Renewable Energy Transition (i.e., reducing fossil fuels and promoting clean energy)
- Green Transportation
- Sustainable Land Management/Food Choices
Within each pathway, we strive to…
- Educate the general public about climate change and mobilize them for action;
- Facilitate collaboration between relevant stakeholders;
- Encourage local media to improve their coverage of climate issues; and
- Influence legislators to implement meaningful climate solutions.
More to come on actions and ways to get involved in the above areas!
- Brittny Baxter, Working Families Party
- Sue Hughes-Smith, Mothers Out Front
- Linda Isaacson Fedele, Sierra Club
- Bill LaBine, Airtight Services, Inc.
- Rachel Larson, Sustainable Energy Developments, Inc (SED)
- Theresa McGowan, Pachamama Alliance
- Abigail McHugh-Grifa, Rochester Climate Action
- Sarah Mittiga, Citizens’ Climate Lobby
- George Payne, Gandhi Earth Keepers International
- Susan Spencer, ROCSPOT