Click for bus information to the March for a Clean Energy Revolution on 7/24 in Philadelphia!
The Rochester People’s Climate Coalition (RPCC) is a network of diverse organizations unified around our concern about climate change and determined to be part of the solution. RPCC includes businesses, faith groups, nonprofits, labor, media, civil servants, and others. Our methods include climate change legislation, education, and mitigation, and working with the media to amplify our work.
Formed in September 2014, RPCC continues to grow, collaborate, and build political will for climate action. For a full list of member organizations and information on how to join the coalition, see here.
The Rochester People’s Climate Coalition addresses the urgent need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and prepare for the impacts of global warming. Together, we will create a more environmentally just and sustainable society for all.
- Build a major force for change that will influence legislators to pass meaningful climate action laws
- Educate the general public about man-made global warming and mobilize them for direct action
- Encourage local leaders to take steps to prepare our region for the future effects of climate change (e.g., update transportation and utilities infrastructure)
- Leverage our collective power to encourage local media to improve their coverage of climate-related issues
The Rochester People’s Climate Coalition (RPCC) formed in 2014 during the weeks leading up to the People’s Climate March, when 30+ organizations in the Greater Rochester Area joined together to voice support for the march and demand action on climate change. Over a period of several months following the march, representatives from member organizations worked together to define the coalition’s mission, goals, and structure.
RPCC’s second big project took place in April 2015, when member organizations collaborated to organize 15 “Earth Week” events, including several public appearances by renowned climate scientist Dr. James Hansen. Collectively, these events served to raise awareness about climate change and move local leaders and citizens to action. Information about our other past initiatives and continuing work can be found here.
- Brittny Baxter, Working Families Party
- Sue Hughes-Smith, Mothers Out Front
- Linda Isaacson Fedele, Sierra Club
- Bill LaBine, Airtight Services, Inc.
- Rachel Larson, Sustainable Energy Developments, Inc (SED)
- Theresa McGowan, Pachamama Alliance
- Abigail McHugh-Grifa, Rochester Climate Action
- Sarah Mittiga, Citizens’ Climate Lobby
- George Payne, Gandhi Earth Keepers International
- Susan Spencer, ROCSPOT